Friday, February 6, 2009

Grandparents bday bash & hurt elbow!

Last weekend was wonderful! We had a little birthday bash for my Granny & Tommy at my parents house. They celebrated 75 & 85, respectively. All of my family (well all but Toby---she lives in NYC & couldn't get away) were there to celebrate. We had great food, of course. We surprised Gran & "Toe-mas", as my children call him, with 2 big pictures of the family that we had taken at Christmas & they loved them. Then, as my dad always does, wrote such a tear jerking poem for them, and as always, my uncle Kent did a GREAT job narrating it!! Baylee was quite the little helper with opening gifts & busy hugging everyone & Bryce entertained everyone again with his spiderman acting & wrestling with anyone & everyone who would wrestle with him.

Then the work week started. Monday & Tuesday were normal clinical days for me & then came Tuesday night. I made dinner for the family, we ate, & I cleaned up the mess. I loaded the dishwasher & left the door down for some unknown reason. I decided to go get dirtly clothes out of the hamper in the hallway & take them to the washing machine. As I turned the corner to head into the kitchen, SMACK---BOOM----OUCH---my left leg hit the door of the dishwasher & the rest of my body cleared the door completely!! I feel flat on my left hand, clothes everywhere & it hurt like a SOB!! I immediatly thought, OH my, I have broken my arm. Bryce & Baylee came in there with such worry on their faces. Bryce started to cry...they were so worried about their mommy. Well as the night progressed, my elbow started to swell & my range of motion was shrinking!! I avoided the ER...hate waiting in those places. So, the next morning I decided to go to the doctor (my sweet husband even took off work to take me after I begged him). Important tid bit to all of this is that I have a lovely HMO plan...yes lovely!! Remind me to NEVER sign up for an HMO again!! The doctor they assigned me too, no I have never been to my PCP, moved and is no longer living in Oklahoma. So, I call my insurance agency & change doctors to someone I sort of knew. I called his office & his NICE (I"m being a complete smart a#$) tells me politely that they can't get me in until next Wednesday! WHAT???? A week away!! I was like, YOu don't understand, I think I have broken my arm & I know you all save appointments for situations like this. She tells me again, "He has no appointments until next Wed. You will need to go to the ER." Okay, so I was getting pissed off by this point. I pay for insurance & I am assigned to this doctor & they want me to go pay $150 copay to go to the ER. I refused!! So Bryan decides to call the doctor himself, well he gets the nurses voicemail & oddly enough once he heard her name, he knew her. She went to high school with his sister. Anyhow, he figured she'd call back & get me in, but me being impatient & in terrible pain called my insurance company & switched doctors AGAIN to my friends husband (which is on the north side---about 20 min away). So in the mean time of setting up the appointment with my friends husband & attempting to get ready with one working arm, the nurse from the previous doctor called back, & apologized & said she could get me in that morning. Well, since I had already made an appt with my friends husband I just went to him. I had an xray done which showed no actual fracture, but with severe swelling into the joint! Which led them to believe it could be ligament damage. So they wanted me to get an MRI. Well, I am holding off because my range of motion is improving & my pain is getting better. I've been icing it & taking ibuprofin. If it stops improving I will call & follow through with an MRI, but until then lets just hope it gets better on it's own. I still, however, can not put my bra on by myself...I guess it's a good thing I dont' really need one!!

1 comment:

Venus said...

Oh my gosh- that sounds painful! I hope you don't mind but I added you to my blog log :) Venus